How do I get a TTS Certification?

There are currently two pathways to become nationally certified as a tobacco treatment specialist. We recommend that you do your own research into these two pathways to determine which is most appropriate for your needs. Program elements such as cost or renewal requirements often change, so we recommend visiting the sites below for the most current information on these national certification pathways.

CPAHA-Tobacco Treatment: Certified Healthcare ProfessionalTobacco Treatment, offered through the American Heart Association

NCNTT: National Certification in Nicotine and Tobacco Treatment, offered through NAADAC

Do I need to get continuing education hours to provide tobacco treatment?

Professional development is a core competency for tobacco treatment practice. To provide the best service to clients the TTS has a responsibility to stay up to date and refresh skills.

Are there credible resources that the CTTTP recommends for continuing education in tobacco treatment?

The CTTTP website lists accredited continuing education programs, other opportunities and some resources that can be used to seek out continuing education.

Are there continuing education opportunities in tobacco treatment in different regions outside the U.S.?

Virtual programs are available to participants outside of the US.

What do I do with certificates of completion from continuing education programs?

This is managed by organizations that provide TTS credentialing. Check with the organization directly for guidance. The CTTTP only accredits programs, it does not provide credentialing for individuals.

Can I attend a continuing education program that is not accredited by CTTTP?

  • Yes, currently accreditation of continuing education programs is voluntary. You may notify the CTTTP of programs that you would like to be accredited and we will reach out to them and provide them information about accreditation.
  • If you hold a TTS credential that requires CE credits you will need to contact your credentialing organization for rules about how to apply CE credits after attending a non-accredited program.

Contact The Council for Tobacco Treatment Training Programs at with any questions.